- 200 West St, Waltham, MA 02451, USA
A123 Systems, LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries and battery systems for the transportation and commercial markets.
This position will be responsible for Cathode materials development and selection for oxide based chemistries such as Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) and other Ni containing chemistries. This position will support cathode active material development and down selection for high energy density applications, cathode design, electrode optimization, and statistical data analysis for electrode and cell quality. The NMC Cathode Scientist will be a key team member in an aggressive R&D and development effort to produce and commercialize next generation electrode materials for high energy density applications.
- Cathode materials development and selection for oxide based chemistries.
- Assist the principle scientist in material synthesis and characterization
- Innovative thinking and introducing new methods, tools, and/or compositions for performance optimization in cost effective approach.
- The candidate would be expected to execute DOE on their own and to develop statistics deals with planning, conducting, analyzing and interpreting controlled tests to evaluate the factors that control the value of a parameter or group of parameters.
- Electrode optimization which includes density, porosity, conductive additives, binder and A/C ratio.
- Work with external suppliers, vendors, National Labs, and Academic institutions.
- Evaluate emerging cathode materials and electrolytes, electrodes and cell designs against A123 requirements for next generation product performance, safety, and cost
- Improve cell performance, quality, and abuse tolerance, increase the yields and reduce cost via DOE and advanced experimentation techniques
- Analyze and evaluate cell data to determine direct and interaction effects of the materials under evaluation and plan and execute root-cause analysis of failures and appropriate action incurred over course of development and launch.
- Develop and create report, comprehensive technical specifications, drawing and DFMEA.
- Provide engineering support to manufacturing teams in order to resolve manufacturing process issues.
- Effectively communicate results to broader teams in the US and abroad.
- Assist with engineering-level test builds together with quality and operations personnel at manufacturing facilities.
- Collaborate with Supplier Quality team in their communication with material suppliers, related to the development and validation of detailed material specifications for new materials, and the resolution of any quality issues
- Understand and adhere to program timelines
The position requires a self-starting, highly organized individual capable of identifying opportunities and taking responsibility for project implementation.
- Experienced in high Ni NMC chemistry development.
- Knowledgeable in DOE as a tool to optimize synthesis method and condition.
- Experienced in different physical and chemical characterization tools, as well as different spectroscopic and microscopic analysis techniques.
- Knowledgeable in electrochemistry fundamental and electrochemical testing and how to apply these tools for the development of innovative cathode materials.
- The candidate should be able to deeply analyze output data and communicate relevant learnings to stakeholders
- Thinks Analytically - The ability to break down problems, gain understanding, and make effective decisions.
- Demonstrates an aptitude for independent and creative thinking as well as complex problem solving using innovative approaches.
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to speak with clarity and interface effectively with co-workers.
- Self-motivated and a team player.
- PhD in Chemical, Material, Electrical Engineering, chemistry or physics
- 1 - 5 years related experienced in a structured R&D / product development environment.
- Demonstrated expertise and success in design and development of components and assemblies for lithium ion battery
- Familiarity with Statistical Analysis and Design of Experiments (Minitab) preferred
Additional comments about position: Attention to details and comprehensive analysis is essential; team-player with a positive attitude and the ability to operate with minimal direct supervision is a major plus.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.