Battery Research Engineer
- 200 West St, Waltham, MA 02451, USA
A123 Systems, LLC develops and manufactures advanced lithium ion batteries and battery systems for the transportation, electric grid services and consumer markets. Headquartered in Massachusetts and founded in 2001, A123 Systems' proprietary nanoscale electrode technology is built on initial developments from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Among the companies selecting A123 batteries, battery systems and technology in the fields of transportation, grid energy storage and consumer products are AES Energy Storage, LLC, BAE Systems, The Black & Decker Corporation, BMW, Daimler, and Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation. For additional information please visit www.a123systems.com.
The research engineer’s primary responsibility is to support fundamental R&D’s material research programs that are associated with internal technology development. These programs are key to ensuring that A123 remains the clear leader in low voltage systems while simultaneously advancing high energy density material technologies. Primary job activities include conducting experimental testing in a controlled environment such as dry room and glove box, preparing and optimizing processes, designs and prototypes according to established procedures, and collaborating with program management to ensure information is clearly articulated to the R&D team. Additional responsibilities include data collection, test procedure modification, data analysis and presentation, updating SOPs, and maintaining shared laboratory space.
· Design and validation of new processes and devices.
· Troubleshooting and optimization of existing processes and devices.
· Implementation of new procedures and protocols.
· Assist in transferring laboratory findings and technologies to pilot and production scale.
· Performing other functions as required supporting R&D.
The position requires
• Strong work ethic, a sense of accountability, and the ability to take ownership of laboratory functions.
• Demonstrable problem solving with “outside-the-box” approaches
• Takes initiative and is able to work with little or no supervision.
• Can effectively work with others in a fast paced, collaborative environment.
• Proficient in Excel, Word, and other PC based software.
• Good communication skills with the ability to interact with technicians, laboratory managers, and scientists.
· Drives for results - The passion to set and meet high standards of performance.
· Drives for accountability - The ability to establish clear, measurable goals and deliver on commitments.
· B.S. in chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or related field.
· At least 2 years of experience with battery research and development desired.
· Moisture sensitive chemistry experience both in a glove box and dry room a plus.
A123 is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.